- Learn more about your career with us
- Consumer Advisors
- Moving to our region
- Our People
- Our Culture
- Be Rewarded
- Careers in Nursing
- Careers in Nursing - Emergency
- Careers for international candidates
- Careers at Cherry Creek Youth Justice Precinct
- Careers in Maternity Services
- Careers in Medicine
- Careers in Mental Health
- Careers in Operating Services
- Careers in Support Services
- Careers in Aged Care
- Nursing Careers in Permanent Pool and Casual Bank
- Careers in Barwon South West Public Health Unit (BSWPHU)
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Graduate Careers
- Careers in Cancer Services
- Careers for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
Careers in Nursing
At Barwon Health we value the incredible roles our nurses play as caregivers, role models, educators, mentors and advocates, as well as the direct impact they have on the health and well-being of our patients.
We also know that, for many nurses, balancing career aspirations and the demands of everyday life can be a challenge.
To support our staff, we offer a comprehensive range of career development opportunities, resources and employment options, tailored to meet everybody’s individual needs.
If have any questions, please reach out to our nursing recruitment team so we can help you to create the dream career that you deserve.
Now is the perfect time to relocate to Geelong, Australia. The Victorian Department of Health are offering $13,000 to international nurses and midwives to assist with relocation until June 2023.
Meet Lindsay, a Barwon Health ICU nurse who relocated to Geelong from New Zealand
"I feel supported at Barwon Health and have had multiple opportunities since relocating from New Zealand. In the past 12 months, I have pursued my CNS, SURGE ICU certificate and become a COVID-19 vaccinator. The transition was made easy by Barwon Health as I am surrounded by a diverse and wonderful group of people that I am proud to call both colleagues and friends. I can also spend my free time on the beautiful coast; surfing, wading through rock pools and soaking up the sunshine with my family which gives me great work life balance during these difficult times.”
Current nursing and midwifery vacancies
Expression of Interest
- Registered Nurse (Grade 2) - Emergency Department - Geelong, Victoria
- Registered Nurse - Cardiac Services
- Registered Nurse (Grade 2) - Intensive Care
General Med/Surg Acute
- Registered Nurse or Endorsed Enrolled Nurse - Admission/Discharge Nurse
- Registered Nurse - Anaesthetic and Recovery
- Registered Nurse - Oncology
- Registered Nurse & Enrolled Nurse Casual Bank
- Registered Nurse & Enrolled Nurse - Acute General and Specialist Medicine
- Registered Nurse & Enrolled Nurse - Acute Specialist /General Surgical
- Registered Nurse/Midwife and Enrolled Nurse - Permanent Pool
Aged Care and Subacute/Community
- Registered Nurse - Inpatient Rehabilitation Centre
- Endorsed Enrolled Nurse (Aged Care, Blakiston Oak)
- Endorsed Enrolled Nurse Aged Care - Geelong VICTORIA
- Enrolled Nurse Inpatient Rehabilitation Centre
- Healthcare worker
- Registered Nurse (Grade 2) - Aged Care Blakiston Oak
- Registered Nurse (Grade 2) - Aged Care - Geelong, Victoria
Women's and Children's
- Registered Nurse - Paediatric
- Registered Midwife
- Registered Nurse /Midwife (Grade 2) -Casual whilst on Unpaid Parental Leave
Applying for a nursing or midwifery job at Barwon Health
How do I get work as a Nurse/Midwife at Barwon Health?
Barwon Health uses a centralised recruitment approach for all Grade 2 nursing and midwifery roles, managed by the Collaborative Recruitment Team. To apply for a position, click the links on this page.
What is collaborative recruitment?
It is a three-way partnership between the hiring manager, the candidate and the Collaborative Recruitment Team to find a match for nurses/midwives looking for work and to fill existing and/or anticipated vacancies as soon as possible.
The Collaborative Recruitment Team recruits to vacancies in the units and also for the permanent part-time nursing pools and nursing casual bank.
How do we do this?
We work with you and our hiring managers to find the best match between your preferences, skills and career aspirations, and the vacancies (current and emerging) across Barwon Health.
It’s all about finding the best fit.
- We understand Barwon Health’s needs and know the type of candidates the units are looking for, and can help you find your new clinical “home”.
- One-stop shop for nursing/midwifery recruitment. One application, lots of opportunities!
- We work with you to find the best fit for you in our organisation if your first preference does not have a vacancy or if you are unsuccessful in your initial application.
- Not sure what you want? We can help you get started by being considered for one of our permanent part-time pools or casual shifts where you can check out the units.
- We have qualified recruitment staff. Our team is made up of senior registered nurses who also work clinically, experienced administrators, and experienced healthcare HR/talent acquisition professionals and career coaches.
- Our team is committed to getting you onboard and working as soon as possible.
- Join our talent pipeline so that you can be considered for other roles for up to three months if you are unsuccessful the first time around.
Apply for an advertised nursing or midwifery role
- Click on the jobs below – it will take you directly to our recruitment system.
- If you work with us already, click on the job and apply or contact the Collaborative Recruitment Team
Shortlisting and Assessment
- We will review your application, and if suitable, invite you to attend an assessment centre and/or interview. At the interview, we will discuss your career/employment options.
- What is an assessment centre? An assessment centre is a group-based selection process that uses a range of activities and/or interviews to assess the best candidate for the job. They are designed to be enjoyable and non-threatening to help you relax and perform at your best in the activity or in the face-to-face interview component.
- After reference checks are completed we will call successful candidates to discuss the next steps. Offers are made subject to compliance checks such as Police Check, medical and NDIS worker screen check (aged care).
- You will have some paperwork to complete and a pre-employment medical booked before you receive your contract. We will also be in touch to arrange a clinical induction.
- If you are suitable for employment generally but are not the preferred candidate for the specific job you applied for, we will invite you to join our talent pipeline and offered suitable roles as they become available. (We hold your application for three months)
Get yourself ready for employment at Barwon Health
You can get yourself ready to work at Barwon Health by getting the following documentary evidence prepared in advance:
- Certified copy of your current AHPRA registration
- Current work rights documentation e.g. visa or evidence of citizenship status
- Up-to-date with the required vaccinations to work in your area of choice
- Apply for your NDIS worker check if you want to work in aged care or Working with Children’s Check
- Certified copies of your qualifications
About our wards at University Hospital Geelong
Bellerine Centre 6 North – General Medicine, Gastroenterology, Renal and Chronic Pain Management
Bellerine Centre 6 North (BC6N) provides a supportive environment that encourages professional growth and education in specialist areas of renal, gastroenterology and chronic pain management. BC6N is a 24-bed ward with a mix of 20 specialty medicine and general medicine beds and four beds that can be used flexibly in response to demand. The ward is located at University Hospital Geelong, only a short walk from the city's vibrant waterfront, botanical gardens, and cosmopolitan CBD.
Baxter Wing 7 – General Medicine, Endocrinology and Infectious Diseases
Baxter Wing 7 is a 32-bed unit, encompassing general medicine, endocrinology and infectious diseases. The staff are highly-skilled, professional, friendly and dedicated, taking pride in providing high quality, safe healthcare. University Hospital Geelong is located in the heart of central Geelong, minutes from the picturesque waterfront and a short drive to the Bellarine and Surf Coast.
Heath Wing 2 – Acute Neuroscience Unit
The Acute Neurosciences Unit is a stand-alone stroke and neuroscience ward with state of the art equipment to support best practice standards and smooth patient flow at University Hospital. The ward consists of 18 beds, comprised of 16 general neurology beds, incorporating a stroke unit; two beds for extended epilepsy monitoring and, the flexibility to accept rapid short-stay admissions from the neurology outpatient clinic. The Department of Neurology offers a large team of neurologists who are experienced across all areas of this specialty. The acute service works closely with the Progressive Neurology Clinic (Belmont CHC); Inpatient Neurology Rehabilitation (McKellar Centre) and community rehabilitation teams across Barwon Health.
Heath Wing 7 – Medical Ward, Respiratory Diseases
Heath Wing 7 is a 32 bed General Medicine ward specialising in Respiratory Medicine. The specialised multidisciplinary team manage adult patients with a wide range of medical conditions of which are complex and inclusive of multiple co-morbidities.
Heath Wing 6 – Surgical Ward
Heath Wing 6 is a 32-bed surgical unit that specialises in lower GI, upper GI and urology surgeries. Heath Wing 6 is an extension of Barwon Health’s operating services which comprises of 10 operating theatres in the main complex and two theatres and an endoscopy room in the day procedure centre, operating services perform approximately 22,000 procedures per year across both areas.
Heath Wing 5 – Plastics, ENT Vascular, Gynaecological
Heath Wing 5 is a 28 bed unit with flex beds to 36. The unit is a fast-paced surgical ward with high patient turnover who specialises in ENT vascular, plastic and reconstructive surgery, gynaecological surgery and general surgery.
Baxter Wing 5 – Orthopaedics
Baxter Wing 5 is the orthopaedic unit at University Hospital Geelong. It is a 32-bed unit with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, admitting both trauma and elective patients from around Geelong and the western districts. Our orthopaedic service has a dedicated orthopaedic theatre and is actively involved in research.
Heath Wing 4 – Short Stay Surgical
The short stay service, located on Heath Wing Level 4 and is a 16-bed unit catering for surgical patients who need to remain in hospital for up to 48 hours. The ward admits post-operative patients from all surgical specialties including but not limited to ENT, general surgery, gynaecology, plastic surgery, orthopaedic, ophthalmology, vascular and urology. The service has a high patient turnover and well-developed processes to support all members of the team.
Heath Wing 3 – Paediatrics, Medical, Surgical, Orthopaedics, ENT, Oncology and Psychiatric
Heath Wing 3 is a 24-bed unit and is the primary acute care facility for children and adolescents in the Barwon region. It is a very dynamic and progressive unit that has a large turnover of patients with a wide range of conditions including medical, surgical, oncology, orthopaedic and psychiatric problems. The unit promotes a partnership in care with families and parents are encouraged to room in with their children
Baxter Wing 6 – Oncology and Haematology
Baxter Wing 6 is the oncology and haematology inpatient unit of Cancer Services. The 28-bed ward cares for cancer patients from Geelong and the southwest region. Core services include acute care for haematology patients, including peripheral stem cell transplants, medical oncology and radiation oncology patients. Baxter Wing 6 is a purpose-built cancer ward that is a great working space but is also provides comfort and privacy for our patients.
Birdsey Wing 7 - Rapid Assessment and Planning Unit, Medical Unit
The Rapid Assessment and Planning Unit (RAPU) is a 16–18 bed short-stay medical unit for patients from the Emergency Department that need a short admission and will benefit from intensive, routine allied health input. A multi-disciplinary team approach is used to develop a plan of care for a safe and effective discharge from hospital within 48 hours to 76 hours.
Bellerine Centre 5 – Cardiac Services
Bellerine Centre 5 is a 34-bed combined cardiology and cardiothoracic unit which consists of six coronary care, 18 cardiology and 10 cardiothoracic beds. The cardiology service operates a 24hr emergency STEMI service, along with the complete range of diagnostic, medical and interventional cardiology.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Barwon Health's 24-bed ICU provides tertiary critical care services to the Barwon South West region. The ICU cares for medical, surgical, and cardiothoracic adults, as well as collaborative programs to care for adult ECMO and critically ill children. The ICU supplies a central vascular access and critical care echocardiography service to Barwon Health. The ICU is actively involved in clinical research, critical care education for Deakin School of Medicine, and education and training of junior doctors and nurses.
Barwon Health is one of the largest regional health services in Victoria, providing care for approximately 80,000 emergency presentations per year. The emergency department has both an adult and paediatric short stay unit to ensure consumers receive the right care, at the right place at the right time. Under Barwon Health’s emergency model of care patients are streamed to dedicated assessment areas including fast track, adult, paediatric, resuscitation, trauma and mental health areas. Our mission is to improve access and patient flow to provide a sustainable service that ensures high quality, safe, people-focused care.
Find out about careers in mental health nursing and aged care nursing.
Meet our nurses
Registered Nurse/Clinical Nurse Specialist, Short Stay Surgical Unit
“I’ve worked at Barwon Health for 11 years. I started as a graduate nurse, then as a casual nurse for a year before I applied to work in the Short Stay Surgical Unit and I have been here ever since. I co-ordinate the graduate and student nurses on my ward and have completed extra training to help me manage these tasks. I am excited to be moving to a brand new ward with all new equipment in Building B. The development of a new ward gives us opportunities for change and growth - we are currently recruiting new staff to assist with this. We want new staff to feel comfortable and we treat all new members how we would want to be treated ourselves. Our ward is fantastic and I have always felt very fortunate to be able to work with the team. Everyone - including nurses, ward clerks, PSAs, medical and allied health staff - works together to provide the best care for our patients. I love my role. Working in the Short Stay Surgical Unit allows me to see diverse patients with a wide variety of care needs. It’s very rewarding to be there, assisting in the recovery of patients post-surgery. I also love Geelong and Barwon Region as it has some of the best places to eat and drink and is a growing and vibrant city. We are surrounded by many beautiful vineyards that I enjoy taking my friends to see and the beaches are only moments away, so on hot summer day I enjoy heading down to Ocean Grove for a swim or a walk.”
Registered Nurse, ICU
"I have worked at Barwon Health for 10 years and had many educational and training opportunities, including completing the nursing graduate program, peritoneal/ haemodialysis courses, ICU discovery program and I am commencing a postgraduate in advanced nursing care through the ICU in March this year. I’ve also had the opportunity to work across a variety of specialties, in both ward and day clinic settings. The Geelong region provides a great mix of both city and rural living. I love the outdoors and we are very lucky to have some incredible scenery in the region. I enjoy camping at and exploring the Otways, as well as swimming at the many beaches we have between the Bellarine Peninsula and the Surf Coast. We also have a great variety of restaurants, wineries and entertainment options within the region. After relocating from rural Victoria in 2010, the transition has being an easy one. Although University Hospital Geelong is busy with a large catchment area, I feel as though Barwon Health holds strong values and ties to the community that provide staff and patients with a sense of belonging. I recently joined the ICU in August 2021 and have felt well supported making the transition. I am very grateful for the emphasis that is put on education and professional development for staff."
Clinical Nurse Specialist, ICU
“After completing the ICU post graduate course in 2017. I have since become a Clinical Nurse Specialist in ICU where I am currently employed. The environment within ICU brings a variety of critically unwell patients with complex diagnosis, two days never being the same. Whilst challenging at times I enjoy the acuity, critical thinking and complexity of the ICU population and value the continual support from a fantastic team of nurses who work closely together in a diverse clinical environment. We are further supported by the clinical support nursing team and educators, who facilitate ongoing education and professional development opportunities at the bedside, through simulation, tutorials, workshops and in services.”
Endorsed Enrolled Nurse, BC6N
“Transitioning from aged care into acute as an Endorsed Enrolled Nurse in 2014, I haven't looked back! I love the challenges and the satisfaction of knowing I have provided the best possible care to the community. There is nothing more rewarding than feeling valued and appreciated by your peers and consumers alike. BC6N is a supportive team environment that listens to your contributions and ideas to better the outcomes on the ward and encourages you to further your knowledge and skills. Through the support of my team, I have commenced studying Bachelor of Nursing.”
Associate Nurse Unit Manager, Baxter 7
Registered Nurse Gavin, Baxter 7
“As an Associate Nurse Unit Manager on Baxter 7 I enjoy working within a team which aims to achieve the best health outcomes for our community every day. Within that, I love being able to deliver compassionate care and being the difference in someone’s day. I feel rewarded by teaching and watching my colleagues grow within their nursing role and become more confident and competent in their ability as a nurse. Barwon Health has provided me study days to increase my knowledge as an ANUM as well as stepping up into the Acting Nurse Unit Manager role, when my manager is on leave.” – Emma
“The forging of friendships on the ward, patient connection and seeing the difference you can make in someone’s day are all rewarding elements of working on Baxter 7. Whatever drives your passion can be found here. Baxter 7 has enabled me to grow my career and meet an array of new people and discover their stories.” – Gavin
Associate Nurse Unit Manager, Bellerine Centre 6 North
“I love the unpredictable nature of patients that we have on BC6N; its challenges and how we overcome these challenges. I enjoy working with the multidisciplinary team which is always consumer focussed. The most rewarding element that Barwon Health has given me is the immense opportunity for professional growth and career development. The study days and internal training has helped me to explore my scope of practice. Barwon Health education department has given me paid academic days to complete my post-graduate course. The multiple study days and training has played a crucial role in my career growth.”
Registered Paediatric Nurse, Paediatric Ward
"I enjoy my role as I’m able to provide compassionate family-centred care to my patients and their families. It allows me to make a positive difference in my patients’ lives. It’s a very rewarding role which gives me the chance to use the skills I have learned and experience broad health conditions in children and adolescents while being able to provide the best care for my local community. Barwon Health values their nurses and provides a welcoming environment to all of their workforce. Barwon Health has a skilled and professional workforce and provides excellent facilities for everyone to use to enable the best health outcomes for our community. Barwon Health being a university hospital and being regional means there are endless opportunities for a variety of careers as a nurse.”
What can we offer you?
At Barwon Health we harness a diverse and inclusive workforce and offer fantastic staff benefits. Some of these include:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Professional development opportunities including access to over 32 organisational curriculum offerings around awareness of self, communication, relationships and results
- Experienced clinical educators and mentors
- Access to employee wellness facility
- Salary packaging
- Social club
- Study days
- Accrued days off (one per month for full-time employees)
- Relocation and Sponsorship Support
Relocation and Sponsorship Support
Last Modified: Tuesday, 16 May 2023
⚕️ Nursing and Midwifery Recruitment Team
(03) 4215 5822
🌏 International nursing or midwifery queries
International applicants are currently eligible for a $13,000 relocation package.
Contact Talent Acquisition to learn more or to arrange an informal chat or interview. We have dedicated recruitment officers to assist you with applications, visa nomination, and the relocation process.
+61 3 4215 5071
Careers in Permanent Pool and Casual Bank