Barwon Health supports people’s right to participate individually and collectively in the planning and implementation of their health care. Barwon Health does this by partnering with Consumer Advisors.
Who is a Consumer Advisor?
- A Consumer Advisor is a person who voices collective consumer or community perspectives and take part in decision-making as a representative of those consumers and communities.
- Ideally Consumer Advisors are people well connected in their community, they are able to access the perspectives of many community members and bring those perspectives to Barwon Health and also take information from Barwon Health back to their community to seek perspectives on new ideas or options for improving the way services are provided
What do Consumer Advisors do?
- Consumer Advisors provide the consumer perspective in the development, planning and quality improvement of services, and the measure and improvement of patient and family experience.
What is the Community Advisory Committee (CAC)?
- The Community Advisory Committee is a sub-committee of the Board and were established to increase consumer, carer and community participation in public health services.
- The role of the committee is to provide direction and leadership into all levels of health services operations, planning and policy development, and to,
- Advocate to the board on behalf of the community, consumers and carers.
The Consumer Advisor’s role includes:
- Consideration of the consumer experience
- Consideration of the alignment of any Barwon Health work with the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights; the Charter of Aged Rights and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Supporting Barwon Health to be accountable to consumers
- Advocating for issues affecting consumers
- Advocating for consumer consultation on changes to services or practice that Barwon Health might be considering
Remuneration and reimbursement
Consumer Advisors are not remunerated, but can apply for reimbursement of reasonable costs (in agreement with the Consumer Engagement Manager upon appointment).
Diversity and inclusion
Consumer Advisors are part of the Barwon Health community and should reflect the diversity of the community. Barwon Health wants to partner with Consumer Advisors of any gender, young people, older people, middle-aged people and women of childbearing age, people of diverse socioeconomic status and people living throughout the Barwon Health catchment area.
It is a priority for Barwon Health to attract, recruit and support Consumer Advisors from:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- People who have a disability
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- People from LBGTIQA+ communities
- People with an interest in improving women’s and children’s services
- Young people, including people with an experience of mental health services
- Older people who are interested in shared decision making about their health care
Opportunities for Consumer Advisors include:
- As members of the Community Advisory Committee (a sub-committee of the Board)
Please read and complete the documents linked below.
We Barwon Health are proud to be Totally Smoke Free.
Barwon Health is committed to health screening and immunisation to protect its staff, consumer advisors, volunteers and patients against preventable diseases
Are you a staff member wanting to partner with a Consumer Advisor?
If you are a staff member wanting to request a Consumer Advisor, please complete the request form here.
Last Modified: Wednesday, 24 February 2021