Employment for international candidates
At Barwon Health we harness a diverse and inclusive workforce where we value each person’s uniqueness. We embrace diverse life experiences and the perspectives of our people, whilst providing high-quality health care to all members of our community, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, cultural background, disability, or sexual orientation. We recognise that as an international candidate you will bring your own unique experiences and knowledge and we welcome that. So why would you apply for a role at Barwon Health and what can we offer? What do we want from you? How do you stand out? Read below to find out more.
Requirements of working at Barwon Health
- Visa – The first step to migrate and work within Australia is to apply for your visa issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection. If you require sponsorship or don’t yet have a visa issued, you can still apply for positions however you will need to state in the work eligibility section of your application that you require sponsorship.
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) Registered – If you are a nurse, allied health professional or clinician that is seeking work at Barwon Health it is crucial that you receive your AHPRA registration. Visit AHPRA here to find out more > https://www.ahpra.gov.au
- Initial Registration of Overseas Nurses (IRON) Program – If you are a nurse AHPRA runs a bridging program for overseas nurses aimed at enhancing your clinical skills to adhere to Australian standards. There are 2 programs: Iron Program for Enrolled Nurses and Iron Program for Registered Nurses, the duration of this program is 10-12 weeks.
One of the most common questions we are asked is if we offer sponsorship. The short answer: yes we do, but there are a few steps we must meet first in order to be able to sponsor, these include:
1. Your role must be on the Skilled Occupation List, to view this please click this link > https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list
2. We must first consider all Australian applicants. It is only if we cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident with the correct skills and experience for the role that we can then proceed to the next step.*
3. The role must be a permanent full time position.
4. The role must be advertised for 28 days and on multiple platforms.*
Depending on your specialty and whether the role is a hard-to-fill position, your chance for sponsorship would increase.
*These steps continuously change and it is important to be up-to-date with current policies for overseas recruitment. For more information please visit the Immigration and Citizenship website > https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au
How to get recognised?
It is imperative that your CV and cover letter are up to scratch with details that include your professional summary, education, work history, volunteering, achievements and referees. It’s key that both documents are in a readable font, are professional and relevant to the roles you are applying for.
Why would you apply for a role at Barwon Health?
More than 70% of our staff say Barwon Health is truly a great place to work. Here are a few reasons why working at Barwon Health is as great as they say it is:
We employ staff who drive our values
As an organisation we employ people that uphold our values: respect, compassion, commitment, accountability and innovation. Our interviews include a question around our values and we look for these values throughout the recruitment process.
Education and training
We have experienced clinical educators and mentors and provide comprehensive clinical service training that staff can follow to develop their clinical skills. For both clinical and non-clinical staff we also offer education and training sessions around our four key areas of our leadership capability framework: awareness of self, communication, relationships and results. There are currently 30 training sessions that are free and available to our staff.
We offer salary packaging, flexible working arrangements, access to our employee wellness facility, accrued days off (1 per month), study days, a competitive salary and a beautiful bayside location that is minutes from our renowned ocean coastline.