You have the right to elect where you are treated, so why not select the most comprehensive health service in regional Australia?
Barwon Health is an award-winning, nationally recognised health service, with the largest range of health services available to consumers including:
- A dedicated Veterans Support Program
- Personalised Veterans health services
- Holistic/team approach to service delivery
As a Barwon Health patient, you will have the benefit of accessing our state-of-the art facilities as well as being treated by some of the best health professionals in the business. Your care will be delivered by using a holistic approach. From presentation through to discharge, you will be overseen by highly skilled and trained medical and allied health staff and nursing personnel, as well as our dedicated Patient Liaison team supporting every step of your journey.
Our health service caters to all of our returned servicemen and women and their families. Our Patient Liaison team will act on your behalf as an integral member of your support network. They will inform you and your treating team with what supports and services are available to you, whilst tailoring each discharge plan to best suit the needs of you and your family. These services include:
- Home help
- Allied health support
- Other medical services required as part of your discharge
- Pension and welfare support officers, who can assist you with advocacy and application submission to the Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA). Including a review of white card holder entitlements, if required.
Barwon Health and the DVA are focused on helping veterans and war widows remain in their home for as long as is safe. Your discharge planning team can help tailor a plan for you, as recommended by each expert involved in your care. The team is made up of doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, physios, other allied health support staff, social workers and the Planning and Referral Team.
Services available at Barwon Health:
- Emergency Department
- Renal dialysis
- Cancer services
- Surgical services
- Intensive Care Unit
- Specialist mental health teams
- State-of-the-art medical imaging, scanning and testing facilities
- Specialist stroke and neurology team
- Specialist geriatric and general medicine wards.
- Fractures and orthopaedic wards and rehabilitation facilities
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Centre
- Community rehabilitation
There are many more available through Barwon Health, please contact our Patient Liaison staff should you require support in a different area.
At University Hospital Geelong, you also have access to:
- Free onsite parking
- Free TV hire and daily newspaper
- Free telephone access
- Volunteer transport
- Ted Mankelow Garden of Reflection and Remembrance
Barwon Health Volunteer Patient Transport Service
The Volunteer Services offer a free transport service to eligible patients who may be unable to drive or arrange other transport. The service takes Gold Card holders to and from their medical appointments at Barwon Health.
For more information, please phone the Barwon Health Patient Liaison Team on (03) 4215 1282 or 4215 1305.
Last Modified: Monday, 04 March 2019
Patient Liaison Team
University Hospital Geelong
(03) 4215 1282